Wednesday, February 9

Love Letters to Food

I have never had much success with writing, outside of love letters. I honed my writing skills by writing hundreds of pages to girlfriends across the country. Of these hundreds of pages, about 500 were written in three months to the woman who is now my wife. I wrote to her on almost every subject, but the underlying message in every sentence was simply – I love you.

I have imagined myself a writer since I began writing love letters at 12 years old. Although my affections were initially dedicated to N. N. and T. M. in elementary school, [everyone who knew me then knows who they are] I eventually turned into a little Romeo. I realized that I wanted to talk to a lot of girls, and found that I was better at writing to them.

I loved through my words. I felt a tingle in every crush, that critical excitement. I hardly doubted the strength of my will and unabashedly wrote to all of my crushes. Once I had written a handful of letters and received a handful of kisses in return, I believed that my success as a writer was confirmed.

I got married in March of 2010. When I wrote my wedding vows I promised a lifetime of love letters to my wife. I promise I won’t disappoint on that Natalie.
I have decided that I also want to write about food.
I have always loved food… as much as I have loved to love…
Benny’s favorite foods will now be recipes, tasting notes, and love letters to food.

I am happy to say that a few of my friends and family members have grown to love the recipes I have posted so far. I will continue to post recipes for food I love. Writing about food will be a joy for me. I hope you will join me in the thrill of devouring a few words about food. I hope my words about food will remind you of the joy of a first kiss. Please treat yourself to an affair with Benny’s Favorite Foods.

No comments: